UNDP Somalia: The Organization That Doesn’t Communicate!
The agony of the Somali people is mentioned in all the news bulletins around the world in every imaginable language. Seeing the misery in my beloved country hurts a lot. This is especially tru
e to the Somali Diaspora, who live around the world. The anguish I feel for my people is deep in my heart.
I realize that pity is not enough for Somalia. It is also not an option to wait the empty promises and of the Somali blood thirsty warlords and parasite politicians who claim to be working 18 years on the reconciliation, security and finding a lasting solution for Somalia. After, nearly two decays in Europe I decided to say enough is enough: One thing I could do with my limited effort is to produce public awareness TV and Radio programs that can educate and inform the Somali public about issues on: security, social, health, education, environment, the rule of law and self determination. After all, sooner or later those of us, who had been lucky enough to live peacefully abroad, have to stand and to be counted. You see public awareness TV documentaries & Radio programs can address the above social matters in a entertaining manner thereby making it possible the public participation on the reconciliation and reconstruction of Somalia.
Where did I start my endeavour other than to go back to Nairobi, Kenya, where I hopped the get help and the guidance from UNDP, which I was told deals with the development issues and the public awareness programs in the country. You may ask: why in Nairobi, Kenya and not Mogadishu? Well, as the UNDP put it on their website: “The situation in Somalia obliges UNDP to run its operations from the Kenyan capital, Nairobi”. It was greatly motivating and encouraging to also read statements of UNDP Somalia that read: “UNDP Somalia works with its partners to achieve the goal of a peaceful and secure nation in which every Somali has the opportunity to build a better life”. Knowing, UN bodies to work with registered partners, I had succeeded to establish media company in conjunction with other media groups.
The second step is to present my idea of participating my country’s reconstruction to UNDP Somalia operation premises in Nairobi. There, I was greeted by members of the organisation with smiles and nice comments adding: “that public awareness programs are highly needed to go hand in hand with the peace process in the country”. Having received the contact details of the head of the organisation, Mr. Mark Bowden, I directed my efforts to write to Mr Bowden. In the proposal letter I explained the dire need for public awareness programs to prepare the nation for democratic governance, the rule of law and security, recovery and sustainable livelihoods, which UNDP had claimed said to stand for.
Weeks had passed without any response, reaction or even acknowledgement of my proposed project from Mr. Bowden. As I am about to learn UNDP Somalia has a Communication’s Officer whose job it is to administer the Somali Public Awareness Programs, among other things. I had no other choice other than to arrange meeting with Ms Kaltun Hassan, the UNDP Somalia Communication Officer. Business cards and details had been passed between us; however, you might be surprised to learn that Ms Hassan had not also been as professional as you would expect – She did not flow through with her promise to send me an appointment to discuss this matter further. You may be forgiven thinking that UN Organisations have system of work that is organized enough to respond the mail it receives. Not even the woman who carries the title: “Communication Officer”. While UNDP Somalia says it aspires to “Working with partners so that every Somali has the opportunity to build a better life”.
After long wait without any reply from this organization, I decided not to give up achieving my goal, I therefore, called once again Ms Hassan, however, her telephone went unanswered no matter how many times tried. Not even, when the mobile number that I acquired through a colleague of hers. It became apparent to me that project proposal letters I had sent to Mr. Bowden had been ignored or probably thrown to the rubbish bin. The ignored and unanswered calls are blatant way so say “get lost don’t disturb us we are doing more important issues than you”.
Understandably, not every suggested project, no matter how important it may be to Somalia, can be implemented though UNDP Somalia. The chance exists that it may not be in line with the scheme adopted by UNDP Somalia. Nevertheless, it is against every working principle and etiquette to arrogantly ignore the people you claim to serve, as if their contribution to the country is somehow worthless. It is not an accident not to have received any answer despite all the attempts I made. In my opinion, this comes down to: No matter how disrespectful UNDP Somalia treats to the people it services, it knows those people have nowhere to turn to; they think Somali people have to be content with whatever they get from them however feeble. Sorry, YOU are mistaken if YOU think my self-esteem is so low that I expect less than to be treated with dignity. I know, my project proposal for Somalia may not be possible through UNDP Somalia, nonetheless, I deserve straight answer from letters and telephone calls instead of treating me like a joke!
A friend of mine over heard me voicing my understandable frustration about The UNDP Somalia’s working system. He laughingly said: “Everyone knows that organization is run like a family kiosk, so forget any high hopes you may have implementing any projects no matter how high you think of it!” For god’s sake! How does such a work environment develop a country when they failed to service even one person?
I am not sure if it is possible to extrapolate the above analysis to other UN agencies. Unfortunately, UNDP Somalia alone is enough to put disrepute to the UN mission of reaching and helping the Somali public. Regrettably this will continue for the time being, as long as the UN organisations have no one to answer other than the UN. The UN can’t effectively pressure its regional organisations; financed with aid money, such organisations know their salary is paid whatever happens without any performance measurement. As far as the UNDP-Somalia office is concerned, you have to learn that the first duty of an organisation is have communication system that is working, if you cannot reply the mail you receive- lock down your idle offices, because that is the least an organisation can do.
e to the Somali Diaspora, who live around the world. The anguish I feel for my people is deep in my heart.I realize that pity is not enough for Somalia. It is also not an option to wait the empty promises and of the Somali blood thirsty warlords and parasite politicians who claim to be working 18 years on the reconciliation, security and finding a lasting solution for Somalia. After, nearly two decays in Europe I decided to say enough is enough: One thing I could do with my limited effort is to produce public awareness TV and Radio programs that can educate and inform the Somali public about issues on: security, social, health, education, environment, the rule of law and self determination. After all, sooner or later those of us, who had been lucky enough to live peacefully abroad, have to stand and to be counted. You see public awareness TV documentaries & Radio programs can address the above social matters in a entertaining manner thereby making it possible the public participation on the reconciliation and reconstruction of Somalia.
Where did I start my endeavour other than to go back to Nairobi, Kenya, where I hopped the get help and the guidance from UNDP, which I was told deals with the development issues and the public awareness programs in the country. You may ask: why in Nairobi, Kenya and not Mogadishu? Well, as the UNDP put it on their website: “The situation in Somalia obliges UNDP to run its operations from the Kenyan capital, Nairobi”. It was greatly motivating and encouraging to also read statements of UNDP Somalia that read: “UNDP Somalia works with its partners to achieve the goal of a peaceful and secure nation in which every Somali has the opportunity to build a better life”. Knowing, UN bodies to work with registered partners, I had succeeded to establish media company in conjunction with other media groups.
The second step is to present my idea of participating my country’s reconstruction to UNDP Somalia operation premises in Nairobi. There, I was greeted by members of the organisation with smiles and nice comments adding: “that public awareness programs are highly needed to go hand in hand with the peace process in the country”. Having received the contact details of the head of the organisation, Mr. Mark Bowden, I directed my efforts to write to Mr Bowden. In the proposal letter I explained the dire need for public awareness programs to prepare the nation for democratic governance, the rule of law and security, recovery and sustainable livelihoods, which UNDP had claimed said to stand for.
Weeks had passed without any response, reaction or even acknowledgement of my proposed project from Mr. Bowden. As I am about to learn UNDP Somalia has a Communication’s Officer whose job it is to administer the Somali Public Awareness Programs, among other things. I had no other choice other than to arrange meeting with Ms Kaltun Hassan, the UNDP Somalia Communication Officer. Business cards and details had been passed between us; however, you might be surprised to learn that Ms Hassan had not also been as professional as you would expect – She did not flow through with her promise to send me an appointment to discuss this matter further. You may be forgiven thinking that UN Organisations have system of work that is organized enough to respond the mail it receives. Not even the woman who carries the title: “Communication Officer”. While UNDP Somalia says it aspires to “Working with partners so that every Somali has the opportunity to build a better life”.
After long wait without any reply from this organization, I decided not to give up achieving my goal, I therefore, called once again Ms Hassan, however, her telephone went unanswered no matter how many times tried. Not even, when the mobile number that I acquired through a colleague of hers. It became apparent to me that project proposal letters I had sent to Mr. Bowden had been ignored or probably thrown to the rubbish bin. The ignored and unanswered calls are blatant way so say “get lost don’t disturb us we are doing more important issues than you”.
Understandably, not every suggested project, no matter how important it may be to Somalia, can be implemented though UNDP Somalia. The chance exists that it may not be in line with the scheme adopted by UNDP Somalia. Nevertheless, it is against every working principle and etiquette to arrogantly ignore the people you claim to serve, as if their contribution to the country is somehow worthless. It is not an accident not to have received any answer despite all the attempts I made. In my opinion, this comes down to: No matter how disrespectful UNDP Somalia treats to the people it services, it knows those people have nowhere to turn to; they think Somali people have to be content with whatever they get from them however feeble. Sorry, YOU are mistaken if YOU think my self-esteem is so low that I expect less than to be treated with dignity. I know, my project proposal for Somalia may not be possible through UNDP Somalia, nonetheless, I deserve straight answer from letters and telephone calls instead of treating me like a joke!
A friend of mine over heard me voicing my understandable frustration about The UNDP Somalia’s working system. He laughingly said: “Everyone knows that organization is run like a family kiosk, so forget any high hopes you may have implementing any projects no matter how high you think of it!” For god’s sake! How does such a work environment develop a country when they failed to service even one person?
I am not sure if it is possible to extrapolate the above analysis to other UN agencies. Unfortunately, UNDP Somalia alone is enough to put disrepute to the UN mission of reaching and helping the Somali public. Regrettably this will continue for the time being, as long as the UN organisations have no one to answer other than the UN. The UN can’t effectively pressure its regional organisations; financed with aid money, such organisations know their salary is paid whatever happens without any performance measurement. As far as the UNDP-Somalia office is concerned, you have to learn that the first duty of an organisation is have communication system that is working, if you cannot reply the mail you receive- lock down your idle offices, because that is the least an organisation can do.
